The Chamber’s mission is to help businesses in the Petoskey region succeed while protecting our community’s quality of life and fostering responsible growth.
In fulfilling our mission, we will maintain the following core values:
- Quality: We will strive for excellence in the presentation of our events, programs, and services
- Integrity: We will be honest and forthright in our dealings with members, the media, our volunteers, our staff, and the community as a whole
- Excellence in customer service: We will offer exemplary service for our members and guests
- Teamwork: We will engage the talents and skills of our staff and volunteers to work together toward achieving our mission
- Fiscal Responsibility: We will be responsible stewards of the dues and sponsorship support we receive
- Pride: Our work will be punctuated with a strong sense of pride in our community
- Balance: We will protect our environment and history while fostering responsible growth in the region
ORGANIZATIONAL VISION: By the year 2010, the Petoskey Regional Chamber of Commerce will have significantly grown in membership and influence throughout the region. We will be regarded as a leading organization in our community and a leader among other Chambers throughout the State of Michigan.
VISION: The PRCC will continually focus on the value of membership and the return on investment to our members to the point that a membership becomes so valuable that they will not consider canceling.
- We will better utilize our Web site to promote our members and develop member-to-member networking connections. We will use the site to enhance convenience to members for administration of their membership and the utilization of chamber programs and services
- We will enhance all networking opportunities for members (B2B, Business After Hours, Business Before Hours and others) and make networking opportunities for members a part of every special event or activity
- We will have revisited our Health Benefit program for members – making it desirable for all members, but not the driving reason for membership
- We will evaluate Chamber programs to assure that they are both important to members and fiscally prudent for the organization
- We will strengthen the chamber’s programming focus on businesses outside of the downtown central business district to find ways to enhance service to that segment of our membership
- Members will join the Chamber for a number of highly valued benefits – health care being one, but not the only one
- Members (and potential members) will be better informed about the benefits associated with Chamber membership
VISION: The Chamber will function as a business and will strive to build financial security for the organization and to re-invest resources back into the organization.
- We will be prudent with our revenue stream and conservative in our approach to operations, including close evaluation of the cost/benefit of all programs, services and events. (Maximizing revenue while maintaining value to members)
- We will generate sufficient income to accomplish our goals and maintain the level and quality of professional staff necessary to succeed
- We will grow and then maintain an appropriate operating reserve
- We will grow and the maintain an appropriate capital reserve
VISION: Our office will have a professional appearance that blends with and enhances its neighborhood, yet functions with the necessary technology to be successful and efficient.
- We will remain at a central location and expand as necessary with the growth of members, services and staff
- We will consider partnering for satellite operations, working with other communities to extend Chamber influence throughout the county (a location in Alanson being the first such effort)
- We will continually evaluate the structural soundness and appearance of our office and upgrade as necessary
VISION: We will strive to maintain a staff of diverse talents, who possess quality customer service skills, have an eye for quality, and thrive in a team environment.
- We will have added approximately 2.5 FTEs to continue adequate levels of service to members
- Additional staff will be “specialists” – for special events and downtown support and expanded advocacy focus
- Executive Director will be freed up to be the leader/strategic thinker and planner for the organization
- We will maintain our Board at its current size, but will have made changes as to Board member tenure for continuity
VISION: Our communications will be targeted, appropriately and consistently branded and effective, both internally and externally.
- A special focus for communications (member to chamber and member to member) will be the website
- We will look at ways to utilize technology to better communicate to certain targeted segments of the membership
- We will continually evaluate our printed material for quality, cost effectiveness, and value to our membership
VISION: The PRCC recognizes tourism as a valuable component of the local economy and will continually strive to provide convenience, be a resource, and be welcoming to those visiting our region.
- We will continue to collaborate with area organizations for the promotion of Petoskey as a tourist destination
- We will have touch-screen kiosks located in high traffic areas for visitor information
- We will have a concise, high quality visitors guide covering all appropriate member categories
- We will have grown Petoskey’s Festival on the Bay to be a premier festival in the Midwest that is adequately funded
VISION: We will continue to be the leading agency, in partnership with the City of Petoskey, to maintain an attractive and economically viable downtown that is respectful of its period architecture and heritage.
- We will have a waiting list of businesses desiring space in the downtown area
- We will have a business mix that encourages traffic of visitors, local and resorters
- We will have a mix of high quality events that encourages participation of visitors, locals and resorters
- We will have a downtown that is attractive, convenient and inviting for visitors and local residents
- Downtown Petoskey will be a premier destination for visitors and the community’s center for area residents
- We will lead initiatives to brand, position, and promote Downtown Petoskey – utilizing its unique sense of culture and heritage – as a desirable place to shop, dine, and stay
- We will work with building owners and developers to encourage quality design within the Central Business District that blends with existing period architecture
ADVOCACY AND OUTREACH
VISION: We will form appropriate partnerships with other agencies and organizations to enhance economic development and advocacy efforts on behalf of area businesses.
- We will have an expanded presence of our legislative staff at Board meetings and in newsletters and other means of communication with members
- We will continue our relationship with the Traverse City and Cadillac Chambers and utilize the synergy created by this partnership to become a strong voice for businesses in Northwest Lower Michigan
- We will expand collaborative efforts with other Chambers
- Policy makers at local and state levels will view our Chamber as a definitive source of good information on issued impacting the regional business climate
- We will become the first business-resource stop for new and existing businesses in the area
- We will provide resources and staff support for SCORE to assure that free counseling remains available for area businesses
- We will continue to partner with area chambers to advocate for a level of air service in our region that meets the demands of business travelers and area visitors